Visitor & Member Guidelines
Here are a few things to know before you go.
Guests and Day Members
- Guests register and pay any associated admission fees at the front desk.
- The reading rooms and stack areas on all floors are open to Day Members.
- The first floor—including art and exhibition gallery—is open to guests with an Arts & Exhibitions ticket purchase.
- We allow purses and messenger bags that measure under 11 x 17 inches.
- Backpacks and large bags are not allowed past our lobby, but you may store any type of bag in our free locker room. We offer plastic bags if you would like to carry any personal items with you.
- All articles are subject to inspection.
- Phone booths on floor 4 can be reserved for phone and video calls.
- Short and respectful phone use is permitted in the Leventhal Room (first floor), fourth floor living rooms, and terraces.
- Silence your phones while in the building.
- WiFi is available for Athenaeum guests.
- The fifth-floor reading room and the Special Collections Reading Room are designated as silent spaces.
- Anyone with a research interest in the collections may make an appointment. Requests to see special collections materials must be made online.
Flash-free photography is allowed with some restrictions. Tripods, selfie sticks, and other camera-holding devices are not allowed. Refrain from photographing people without their permission.
Beverages in closed containers are allowed.
Food is permitted in the fifth floor members’ lounge, fourth floor living rooms, and our outdoor terraces.
No food is permitted on the first floor with the exception of catered special events.