The Based On The Book discussion group meets the fourth Tuesday of every month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. This group meets using a hybrid solution. You can attend in person or connect remotely.
Each month this group discusses a book of fiction and a movie based on the book. Each discussion is moderated by one of the group members. The book and movie pairs are selected by the discussion group. Some examples of book and movie pairs are Jane Austen Emma (1815) and the 1995 movie Clueless with Alicia Silverstone; Pierre Boulle, The Bridge on the River Kwai (1952) and the 1957 movie with Alec Guinness; Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It (1976) and the 1992 movie with Brad Pitt; Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969) and the 1972 movie with Marlon Brando; Ian Fleming, Casino Royale (1953) and the 2006 movie with Daniel Craig; Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001) and the 2007 movie with Keira Knightley.
Thank you for your interest in this group! Unfortunately they are currently at capacity, but if you’d like to be contacted once space becomes available, please join our waitlist.
What We’re Reading
- Jan. 24: Don DeLillo, White Noise, 2022 film
- Feb. 28: L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, 1939 film
- Mar. 28: Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea, 1993 film
- Apr. 25: Richard Ford, Wildlife, 2018 film
- May 23: Thomas Savage, Power of the Dog, 2021 film
- Jun. 27: Edith Wharton, House of Mirth, 2000 film
- Jul. 25: Charles Portis, True Grit, 2010 film
- Aug. 22: Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep, 1946 film
- Sep. 26: William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet/West Side Story, 2021 film
- Oct. 24: Mark Harris, Bang the Drum Slowly, 1973 film
- Nov. 28: Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, 1969 film
- Dec. 26: Isak Dinesen, Babette’s Feast, 1987 film